Still Air 3
Still Air 3 is part of a cycle for wind instruments and electronics. These compositions explore the sonorities of quiet, but complex sounds and blend the live instruments with prepared electronic sounds. As a stark contrast to many of my other compositions which explore speed and density, this cycle is meant to search for musical expression with very little activity.
Each musician has his own technical set-up.
- Both musicians play into an iPad, mounted on a microphone stand or music stand.
- Each iPad is connected to two small speakers, positioned on the floor behind the player.
- Both instruments should be very close to the devices microphone.
- While performing the duo version, the two IOS-devices synchronize to stay together.
- Both devices need to run iOS 7 or higher.
- The electronics in both pieces are composed of two layers.
- The first layer could be understood like a « tape » part, which is divided into 24 events.
- The second layer varies depending on the musicians amplitude. The iPad built-in microphone captures the instruments live sound and varies intensity and pitch of the prepared sound files.
- It is this interaction which creates a strong unity between the life player and the electronics.
vidéo avec Arthur Sato et Alejandro Acierto